26 JAN 1859 - Richmond, VA
14 AUG 1929 - White Stone, Lancaster, VA
Zipporah Ella HaleZepporah Hale >> Orah Lewis >> Marvin George >> Maida George
The 1870 census shows her family still in Richmond County near the Warsaw post office. Her father's real estate is now valued at $200 and personal property at $100. At age 11, Zipporah is marked as attending school that year.
The 1880 census shows Zipporah, age 20, living with her brother Camorite Hale. He is listed as a widower with an 8 year old son. Also living with Camorite is Fairfax Lewis, age 17. Camorite is marked as a farmer and Fairfax as a laborer. Fairfax was marked as not being able to read or write.
Zipporah and Fairfax married just two years later on December 17th, 1882. He was the son of Middleton Lewis and Sarah Clark.
At some point after 1893 the couple moved to Lancaster County. Their youngest son, Parran or "Caney" as he was called, told his grand-niece, Maida George, that his father was a sharecropper and when he first moved down the Northern Neck from Richmond County they lived on Enon Hall farm in a home standing in the eastern most field, directly behind her home.
The 1900 census does show the family near White Stone. Fairfax is working as a farmer and it says his home is rented. He is noted as being able to read and write this time. The next family listed are Yerby's. That would support Caney's claim because the next farm east of Enon Hall was the Yerby farm.
The local news section of the Virginia Citizen mentioned in 1906 that F. Lewis had moved in the house of the late C.S. Dunton.
The 1910 census shows the family on the road from White Stone to Palmer. This location does not seem to fit with the location of the Dunton house and could possibly have been an error by the census taker. Fairfax is still marked as renter. The couple was noted as having 6 children with 5 surviving.
The 1920 census shows Zippoarh as 60 years old and Fairfax as 56. They are marked as owning the home mortgage free. The family still lives near White Stone. Anna Marie Lewis, daughter of Caney, states that she was sure the family was living from the home purchased from the Dunton's in 1920. Sons Kirk and Parran still live at home and are marked as working on steam boats. Kirk has a wife and young daughter that also live in the home.
Fairfax died on Sunday morning, October 16th, 1921. He was buried the next day at White Stone Baptist Church. Zipporah died August 14th, 1929. She was buried beside Fairfax the following day. Her cause of death was given as chronic nephritis (inflammation resulting from urinary tract infection).
- Year: 1850; Census Place: Farnham Parish, Richmond, Virginia; Roll: M432_972; Page: 170B; Image: 339
- Year: 1860; Census Place: Richmond, Virginia; Roll: M653_1374; Page: 348; Image: 367; Family History Library Film: 805374
- Year: 1880; Census Place: Washington, Richmond, Virginia; Roll: 1386; Family History Film: 1255386; Page: 461A; Enumeration District: 099
- Year: 1900; Census Place: White Stone, Lancaster, Virginia; Roll: 1714; Page: 13B; Enumeration District: 0046; FHL microfilm: 1241714
- Year: 1910; Census Place: White Stone, Lancaster, Virginia; Roll: T624_1633; Page: 22B; Enumeration District: 0060; FHL microfilm: 1375646
- Year: 1920; Census Place: White Stone, Lancaster, Virginia; Roll: T625_1895; Page: 10B; Enumeration District: 69; Image: 703
- U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current
- Virginia, Death Records, 1912-2014
- Virginia, Select Marriages, 1785-1940
- Richmond Times Dispatch, 19 Aug. 1929, p. 13. NewsBank: America's News – Historical and Current, infoweb.newsbank.com/apps/news/document-view?p=AMNEWS&docref=image/v2%3A135B950C9F3CF0C6%40EANX-NB-13A1856230F7910A%402425843-13A17C18ACC497CA%4012-13A17C18ACC497CA%40. Accessed 7 Aug. 2020.
- "Rockbridge, Virginia, United States Records," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9YG-RT9R : January 22, 2021), image 386 of 598; Virginia. Bureau of Vital Statistics.
Spouse & Children:
- Margaret C. Hale
- Sydnor Hale
- Jepthoh Hale
- Conimerite Hale
- Obedial Hale
- Rawston Hale
- Shelton Hale
- Lily Hale