28 MAR 1825 - VA
7 NOV 1901 - Westmoreland, VA
William H. AllenWilliam Allen >> John Allen >> Bessie Allen >> Thelma Barnes >> Frances Franklin >> Mark Dameron
William was a farmer in Westmoreland County. He served the CSA as a Captain in various home guard units.
On the 1860 census the family appears in Westmoreland County near the Kinsale Post Office. William works as a farmer. His real estate is valued at $3,300 and personal property at $3,370. Children listed are J.P. Allen 4 M, M.J. Allen 2 F, and Infant Allen 8 months F. W. Pressel also lives with them, he is listed as a laborer.
During the Civil War William H. Allen served as a captain in the Confederate Army. He appears to have served in several cavalry units; Fifteenth Battalion Cavalry, Sixteenth Battalion Cavalry, Capt. Howard's Co. Cavalry (Local Defense) , McRae's Battalion Cavalry and Capt. Swindell's Co. of Partisan Rangers. Most of his duties appear to have been related to local defense.
On the 1870 census the family is still in Westmoreland County, now serviced by the Nominy Grove Post Office. William Allen's wealth has taken at hit, most likely because of the war, his estate is now valued at $1,000 and personal property at $150.
William's wife died in 1886 according to her tombstone. He remarried to Harriet Mildred Wright in 1891.
In 1898 William purchased 125 acres of land in Northumberland County for $500 at a public auction. The land was sold after the death of Mary A. Allen, who could have been a sister-in-law. The lot was described as being near the public landing on the on the Hampton Hall branch of the Yeocomico River. William sold the property the following year to Franklin Oram for $1,000.
On 1900 census the family is in the Cople District of Westmoreland. The three youngest sons Arthur, Eugene and Crocker still live at home. William is still working as a farmer.
William died November 7th, 1901 and was buried at Carmel Methodist Church near Kinsale. He was buried beside his first wife. His stone reads Capt. Wm. H Allen.
- Year: 1860; Census Place: Eastern District, Westmoreland, Virginia; Roll: M653_1383; Page: 1043; Family History Library Film: 805383
- Year: 1870; Census Place: Cople, Westmoreland, Virginia; Roll: M593_1681; Page: 219A; Image: 55235; Family History Library Film: 553180
- Year: 1900; Census Place: Cople, Westmoreland, Virginia; Roll: 1731; Page: 16B; Enumeration District: 0084; FHL microfilm: 1241731
- National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Carded Records Showing Military Service of Soldiers Who Fought in Confederate Organizations, compiled 1903 - 1927, documenting the period 1861 - 1865; Catalog ID: 586957; Record Group #: 109; Roll #: 46
- U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current
- Virginia, Select Marriages, 1785-1940