1785 - Northumberland, VA
William DameronWilliam Dameron >> Christopher Dameron >> Leroy Dameron >> Richard Dameron >> Elton Dameron >> Ralph Dameron >> Mark Dameron
William married Elizabeth Williams around 1748. They had at least five sons and two daughters; George, Roger, William, Luke, Christopher, Elizabeth "Betty" (married Leroy Oldham) and another daughter, name unknown, who married George Lewis and was mother to Edward Dameron Lewis.
In 1758 a William Dameron's name appeared on a tax list for St. Stephens Parish in Northumberland County, it could have been this William or his father. The 1767 Will of Roger Williams mentioned the name of his daughter, Elizabeth Dameron.
In April of 1774 William sold 150 acres in St. Stephens Parish, Northumberland to Archibald Ritchie of Essex County for 46 pounds 15 shillings and four pence current money of Virginia. In September 1777 William bought 30 acres of land from George Lewis (likely his son-in-law) for 75 pounds.
On July 18th, 1780 William Dameron and his wife Elizabeth along with William Folks and his wife Nanny sold 7 acres of land to Stephen Hall Sr, Richard Neil, Richard Clayton, John Rust and Robert Carter of the Baptist Church of Christ on Morattico Creek in Richmond County for only 5 shillings. The land sold was in St. Stephens Parish, Northumberland County. This was most likely land sold to the newly formed Morattico Baptist Church for a northern meeting house. At that time the church was still meeting in the home of Alexander Hunton on the Richmond County side of Morattico Creek. That would have made the Robert Carter named in the deed as a trustee the Robert Carter of Nomini Hall, grandson of King Carter. In November 1780 Morattico Baptist held a meeting near Hyacinth in Northumberland at Lunsford's Meeting House. By 1787 the church also had a Wicomico Meeting House in Northumberland. The land for that meeting house may have become Wicomico Baptist Church, formed in 1804 and renamed as Coan Baptist Church in 1847. The land near Hyacinth would have been near where some known descendants of William Dameron lived and seems to be a more likely possibility.
In 1782 William Dameron is listed in the Continental Census as the head of a family in Northumberland County. The number of family members was given as 7 and the number of slaves given as 4.
William Dameron wrote a will on January 17th, 1785. On February 14th, 1785 William and Elizabeth signed a document agreeing to sell 30 acres of land in Northumberland to David Straughan for fifty pounds ($7,800 in 2017 dollars). William died sometime in the months following. His will was probated on June 13th, 1785.
William left to his wife Elizabeth the plantation that they lived on, a slave named Sarah, all of their furniture and all of the livestock. He left to his son Roger the plantation that Roger currently lived on. He left to his son Luke land that he had purchased in Westmoreland county and a slave named Watts. He left to his son Christopher a gray mare. To his son George he left the best bed and furniture after Elizabeth's death. The second best bed and furniture he left to his grandson, Edward Dameron Lewis. William also instructed that after the death of his wife all of his estate and "movables of every kind and nature," be sold and divided equally among his sons Christopher and George as well as his grandson Edward.
William Dameron is our ancestor along two different lines. Richard Christopher Dameron was a great-grandson of William Dameron from his son Christopher. Mildred Cleopatra Fallin was a 2nd great-granddaughter of William Dameron through his son Luke. When they married, Richard Christopher and Minnie were 3rd cousins once removed.
- Northumberland County, VA. Record Book 1772-76, Part I. page 83.
- Virginia, Marriages of the Northern Neck of Virginia, 1649-1800
- Virginia, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1607-1890
- Virginia, Wills and Probate Records, 1652-1983
- The Dameron-Damron Geneology, Helen Foster Snow
- For Love of Family, Peter T. Baron Jr., 2012
- Northumberland County Record Book 9, Pg. 493.
- Northumberland County Record Book 10, Pg. 240.