BEF 1791 - Lancaster, VA
ABT 1848 - Lancaster, VA
Thomas BushThomas Bush >> Urbane Bush >> Robert Bush >> John Bush >> Savilla Bush >> Maida George
Thomas was a farmer and slaveholder in Lancaster County.
In 1815 Thomas was first listed on the Lancaster County personal property tax list and his appeared every year after through 1848. Over the years he was frequently listed as owning one or two slaves (but later census and estate records show that young and female slaves were not included on the tax list). He was also usually listed as owning one or two horses. He was never recorded as owning any of the other taxed items like a carriage, clock or watch.
A marriage license bond was issued in Northumberland County for Thomas Bush and Elizabeth Y. Bell, daughter of John Bell on February 18th, 1817 with Richard Cockarill as security. John Bell gave written permission for the license to be issued, indicating that Elizabeth was under 21. Thomas and Elizabeth went on the have four children including a daughter named Elizabeth Y.
In the 1820 census the Thomas Bush household was counted as; 1 male under 10, 1 male 26-44, 1 female 16-25, 1 female 26-44, 1 female over 45, and 1 male slave under 14. It appears that Thomas' mother and probably a sister were living with him. The young male was Urbane, just born that year.
In 1830 the household for Thomas Bush was counted as; 2 males 5-9, 1 male 40-49, 1 female under 5, 1 female 20-29, 1 male slave 10-23, and 1 female slave 10-23.
Elizabeth died before October of 1834 when Thomas Bush remarried to Tomsey Thomas, the widow of George Thomas and sister of Elizabeth.
In the 1840 census Thomas's household members were recorded as; 1 male 15-19, 1 male 20-29, 1 male 40-49, 1 female 5-9, 1 female 10-14, 1 female 40-49, 1 male slave under 10, 1 male slave 10-23, 1 male slave 36-54, 4 female slaves under 10, 4 female slaves 10-23, 2 female slaves 24-35, and 2 female slaves 36-54.
In May 1840 a public auction was held at the gate of the property of Thomas Bush by Thomas Dunaway, Commissioner. Mary Bush purchased land for $102 "known by the name of one half of Pea Vine. belonging to the heirs of Richard Mitchell dec'd, adjoining the lands of Raw. Dunaway, Thomas Bush and others containing by late survey seventy five acres." Thomas and his son Urbane witnessed the deed. She was Thomas' sister. When she died in 1859 the land was sold and the money divided between Thomas' children and several members of the Routt family, who were probably other neices and nephews.
Thomas wrote his will on September 10th, 1847 and it was recorded February 21st, 1848, his son James served as executioner. Beneficiaries named in the will were children; Elizabeth Y., James, Naomi and Urbane plus his widow Tomsey.
At the time of Thomas' death he owned four slaves, Harriet (girl/$100), Leonard (boy/$300), Louis (man/$550), Sarah (woman/$375).
An inventory was taken of his estate in March of 1848 by W.H. Haynie, William W. Headley and Martin Shay. The slaves were valued at $1,325 and other personal property valued at $166.22. Among his possession were two pairs of oyster tongs, one yoke of oxen, a spinning wheel and shoemaker tools. Sale of his estate was dated June 1850 and purchasers noted included his sons Urbane and James.
- 1812 Deed - 2 - 3
- Personal Property Taxes 1815-1848 (PDF)
- 1817 Marriage - 2 - 3
- 1820 Census
- 1830 Census - 2
- 1834 Marriage (line 1)
- 1840 Census - 2
- 1840 Deed for Adjacent Property
- 1847 Will
- 1848 Estate Appraisal - 2 - 3 - 4
- Estate Appraisal and Sale - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
- Tomsey Thomas Rejects Inheritance
- Will book, 1690-1949 ; general indexes to wills, etc., ca. 1700-1977; Author: Virginia. County Court (Lancaster County); Probate Place: Lancaster, Virginia
- Lancaster County Will Book 29, page 78 via Mary Ball Washington Museum Website
- Lancaster County Deed Book 25, Page 433
- Lancaster County Deed Book 39, Page 163
- Virginia, Marriages, 1740-1850
- Virginia, Select Marriages, 1785-1940
- Nottingham, Stratton. The Marriage License Bonds of Northumberland County, Virginia, from 1783 to 1850. Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co, 1976. Print. Pg. 14.
- "Northumberland, Virginia, United States Records," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C91H-47YK-6 : October 10, 2020), image 109 of 825; Northumberland County (Virginia). County Clerk.
- 1820 U S Census; Census Place: Lancaster, Virginia; Page: 128; NARA Roll: M33_133; Image: 153
- Year: 1830; Census Place: Lancaster, Virginia; Series: M19; Roll: 194; Page: 316; Family History Library Film: 0029673
- Year: 1840; Census Place: Lancaster, Virginia; Roll: 564; Page: 124; Family History Library Film: 0029688
- "Lancaster, Virginia, United States Records," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99XF-JNJZ : October 10, 2020), image 307 of 386; Lancaster County (Virginia). County Clerk.