1805 - King George, VA
14 FEB 1875 - Shiloh, King George, VA
Stanfield JonesStanfield Jones >> Alice Jones >> Alice Jett >> Gordon George >> Marvin George >> Maida George
Stanfield was a carpenter and farmer in King George County.
Stanfield was married four times. His first wife was Amanda Pursely. They were married March 28th 1827, but she died from typhoid fever less than three months later. Stanfield's second wife was Frances Byron Douglas of Port Royal in Caroline County. They were wed January 31st, 1829. Stanfield and Frances had four to six children, including Alice Columbia Jones, before her death sometime prior to 1862. Stanfield lived off of the Jersey Road near Shiloh in King George County. The home is lived in is thought to date to 1825 and is still in use as of 2019. Stanfield may have built the home himself.
Stanfield appears in the 1830 census as the head of family in King George. household members were one male 20-29, one female under 5, one female 20-29 and one male slave under 10.
The 1840 census lists Stanfield's household members as; one male under 5, one male 30-39, one female 10-14, one female 30-39, one male slave under 10 and one female slave 10-23.
The 1850 census lists Stanfield as a carpenter with real estate valued at $1,000. He is marked as unable to read or write. He and his wife are both listed as 42. Children are; Lawson - 17, Columbia - 12 and Robert - 8. Also living with them is John Grayson, age 12.
The 1860 census again lists Stanfield as a carpenter. His real estate is appraised at $3,000 and his personal estate at $2,000. Children listed are; Robert, Lawson, Virgina and Frances. Both of the sons are listed as working on the farm. John Grayson is still living with them, his race is mulatto and he is working on the farm too.
In 1864 Stanfield's oldest son, Lawson, died in a Civil War prison camp at Point Lookout, MD.
Stanfield's third wife was Elizabeth Peed. They were married about 1862 and had three children between 1862 and 1870 when Elizabeth died.
The 1870 census lists Stanfield as age 62. Living with him are 6 and 4 year old daughters. His occupation was given as farmer, his real estate was valued at $1,500 and his personal estate at $250. On July 3rd, 1870 Stanfield married for the fourth time to Susan Thompson. At age 65 he had no more children.
In 1873 Stanfield sold about 90 acres to his daughter, Alice Columbia Jones, and her husband John Lorenza Jett.
On January 16th, 1875 Stanfield made his will. He left to his wife Susan and youngest children; Catherine, Anna and Jennie the farm where he lived. He instructed that when those three children turned 21 that they may divide the estate among themselves. The will also stated that he had given his "first children, Lawson, Martha, Alice C. and Robert all that I wished to give to them or their heirs, I therefore leave them nothing more except my best wishes for their present and future happiness." Stanfield was unable to write and signed his will by making a mark in the shape of an X. Stanfield died on February 14th, 1875 of consumption, his wife Susan reported his death. His will was proven in King George County Court on May 6th, 1875. He is buried in a small family plot at his home site.
- The Jett and Allied Families, Jeter Lee Jett, 1977, Gateway Press Inc.
- Lee, Elizabeth N. King George County, Virginia, Death Records, 1853-1896. Westminster, MD: Heritage Books, 2011. Print.
- Virginia, Deaths and Burials Index, 1853-1917
- Virginia, Marriages, 1740-1850
- 1830; Census Place: King George, Virginia; Series: M19; Roll: 194; Page: 62; Family History Library Film: 0029673
- Year: 1840; Census Place: King George, Virginia; Roll: 564; Page: 47; Family History Library Film: 0029688
- Year: 1850; Census Place: King George, King George, Virginia; Roll: M432_954; Page: 220B; Image: 439
- Year: 1860; Census Place: King George, Virginia; Roll: M653_1356; Page: 388; Family History Library Film: 805356
- Year: 1870; Census Place: Shiloh, King George, Virginia; Roll: M593_1658; Page: 67A; Family History Library Film: 553157
- Virginia Will and Probate Records
- Grave photographs courtesy Jen Ritchie.