ABT 1815 - Northumberland, VA
Nancy SydnorNancy Sydnor >> Zepporah Hale >> Orah Lewis >> Marvin George >> Maida George
She married Moses Hale on December 17th, 1838. There is an entry in the 1840 census for Northumberland County that shows Moses Hale as the head of a family. The record shows eight people in the household. It could have been Moses and Nancy along with some siblings or parents living with them.
The 1850 census is a clearer record. It shows the family in the Farnham Parish area of Richmond County. Moses works as a farmer, his real estate worth $135. His wife's name is given as Ann, this could have been her middle name that she was going by. She is marked unable to read or write. The four children are marked as born in Richmond County.
In 1860 the family is still in Richmond County near the Stony Hill post office. Moses is still a farmer, his real estate is worth $500 and his personal property $300.
During the Civil War Moses enlisted first with the Virginia Militia and November of 1861 with the 15th VA Cavalry, known as the Northern Neck Rangers. He served through February of 1862. It does not appear he was in any battles.
Nancy died about 1864. Richmond county court documents from October 1867 dealing with the heirs of Nancy's aunt, Milly Sydnor, show Nancy (wife of Moses Hale) as deceased and list the names of five of her children. The 1870 census shows 53 year old Moses together with 21 year old Georgeanna Hale and two children recently being born, Lily (1866) and Obediah (1869).
- Year: 1850; Census Place: Farnham Parish, Richmond, Virginia; Roll: M432_972; Page: 170B; Image: 339
- Year: 1860; Census Place: Richmond, Virginia; Roll: M653_1374; Page: 348; Image: 367; Family History Library Film: 805374
- Year: 1870; Census Place: Washington, Richmond, Virginia; Roll: M593_1674; Page: 261B; Image: 528; Family History Library Film: 553173
- Virginia, Select Marriages, 1785-1940
- King, George H. S. Marriages of Richmond County, Virginia, 1668-1853. Fredericksburg, Va: G.H.S. King, 1964. Print. Pg. 83.