11 APR 1786 - St. Stephen's, Northumberland, VA
BEF 10 APR 1837 - Northumberland, VA
Moses Hale, Sr.Moses Hale >> Moses Hale >> Zepporah Hale >> Orah Lewis >> Marvin George >> Maida George
On the 1810 census Moses Hale was listed as the head of a family in Northumberland. Household members were one male 16-25, one female over 40 and one slave. The woman may have been Moses' mother.
Moses married Margaret Headley on October 13th, 1813 in Northumberland County. They went on to have six children.
Moses Hale is again listed on the 1830 census in Northumberland. This time the family is much larger. Household members are; one male under 5, one male 15-19, one male 40-49, one female under 5, one female 5-9, one female 10-14, one female 30-39 and one male slave 24-35.
Moses wrote his will on December 29th, 1836 and refers to himself as sick and weak. The will was proven in Northumberland Court the following April. Moses was able to sign his own name. In the will he left his whole estate real and personal to his wife during her life or widowhood. Next he left "The tract of land whereon I now live containing 55 acres," to his son Moses and "My tract of land the I purchased from Jesse Bryant containing 50 acres together with twenty dollars" to his son Samuel. To each of his four daughters Moses left a bed and set of furniture. He also directed that after the death or marriage of his wife Margaret that all the rest of his estate including his slave named John should be sold and the proceeds divided among the children.
- Virginia, Select Marriages, 1785-1940
- Year: 1810; Census Place: Richmond, Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: 70; Page: 984; Image: 00302; Family History Library Film: 0181430
- 1830; Census Place: Northumberland, Virginia; Series: M19; Roll: 201; Page: 208; Family History Library Film: 0029680
- Virginia, Wills and Probate Records, 1652-1983
- Northumberland County, Virginia: Marriage References and Family Relationships 1645-1800, F. Wright - Colonial Roots - 2016. pg. 142.
Spouse & Children:
- Ann Self Hale
- Jeanney Hale
- Benjamin Hale
- Ann Hale
- John Hale
- James Hale
- Thomas Hale