12 APR 1838 - Northumberland, VA
30 JUN 1921 - Northumberland, VA
Mary Jane MarshMary Marsh >> Sadie Marsh >> Maida Haynie >> Savilla Bush >> Maida George
Mary Jane had 13 children, she may have been part Native American.
Mary Jane's family is listed in the 1850 census in Northumberland. Her father's job is given as laborer. He and his wife are unable to read or write. It does not appear they own any land.
On the 1860 census her family is still in Northumberland near Heathsville. Her father works as a farmer but still does not own any land. His personal property is valued at $80. Mary Jane's mother not marked as unable to read or write this time. All family members are marked as born in Northumberland.
Mary Jane married Issac Henry Marsh on August 2nd, 1862, he was recently widowed. They went on to have 13 children, with seven living to adulthood. Around the same time Isaac was serving the Confederate Army. He is recorded as serving in the Virgina Militia and the 9th VA Cavalry.
In 1870 the family is living near the Heathsville. Mary Jane is noted as not being able to read or write. Isaac is listed as farmer. His land is valued at $500 and his personal estate at $150. In addition to four children a 23 year old black woman and her infant son live with the family. She is listed as a domestic servant. Her name is Harriet Webster.
In 1880 Mary Jane and Isaac still lives near Heathsville. He is listed as a farmer. Eight children are listed living at home.
The 1900 census shows the couple as married for 38 years. Mary Jane is listed as having 12 children with 7 still living. They are still living near Heathsville. Isaac is listed as owning his home mortgage free and still working as a farmer. Mary Jane as noted as being able to read and write now.
The 1910 census shows Isaac as still farming near Heathsville. Mary Jane is now noted as having 13 children with 7 still living. Their ages are 80 and 72 respectively.
Isaac died on January 31st, 1916. His cause of death was given as grip, which meant flu like symptoms. He was buried in the family cemetery.
In the 1920 census Mary Jane is shown as age 81 and widowed. She lives with her son, Addison Marsh age 48. Mary Jane died the following year on June 30th. Her cause of death was given as chronic Bright's disease (kidney inflammation). She was laid to rest at the family burying ground on July 2nd.
- Year: 1850; Census Place: District 7, Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: M432_965; Page: 347A; Image: 152
- Year: 1860; Census Place: Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: M653_1367; Page: 797; Family History Library Film: 805367
- Year: 1870; Census Place: Heathsville, Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: M593_1669; Page: 31A; Image: 242756; Family History Library Film: 553168
- Year: 1880; Census Place: Heathsville, Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: 1382; Family History Film: 1255382; Page: 40A; Enumeration District: 086
- Year: 1900; Census Place: Heathsville, Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: 1720; Page: 14A; Enumeration District: 0067; FHL microfilm: 1241720
- Year: 1910; Census Place: Heathsville, Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: T624_1639; Page: 15B; Enumeration District: 0099; FHL microfilm: 1375652
- Year: 1920; Census Place: Heathsville, Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: T625_1903; Page: 8B; Enumeration District: 132; Image: 431
- U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current
- Virginia, Death Records, 1912-2014
- Virginia, Select Marriages, 1785-1940
Spouse & Children:
- Frances Marsh
- Sarah Marsh
- Martha A. Marsh
- Walter Wilkerson Marsh
- William Marsh
- James Everett Marsh
- John Marsh