ABT 1812 - Middlesex, VA
27 JUL 1869 - Westmoreland, VA
Martha E. WoodMartha Wood >> Martha Stephens >> Mildred Fallin >> Elton Dameron >> Ralph Dameron >> Mark Dameron
Martha married Henry Carter Stephens on December 26th, 1837 in Northumberland County. His parents were James Briscoe Stephens and Jane Hall. Martha and Henry went on to have at least six children. Henry was a deacon of Gibeon Baptist Church.
Henry Stephens is listed as the head of a family in Westmoreland on the 1840 census. Household members are; one white male 20-30, two white females under 5, one white female 20-30, one black female slave under 10 and one black female slave 10-23. Henry and Martha are both listed as unable to read or write.
The 1850 census shows the family in Cople Parish, Westmoreland County. Henry is listed as a farmer with real estate worth $400. He is marked as being unable to read or write, but Martha is not. Four children are listed with them; Alameda J. - 11, Eliza V. - 10, Martha D. - 8 and John H. - 2.
On the 1860 census the family is shown in Northumberland County near the Union Village post office. Henry's real estate is valued at $800 and personal property at $358. He is once again marked as unable to read or write, but Martha is not. Henry's birthplace is given as Northumberland. Martha's birthplace is listed as Middlesex. The four children are listed as being born in Westmoreland, even the youngest, Sylvanus, who was 4, so they must have moved recently. Also living with the family is a 17 year old mulatto boy named Fleet Benwell.
Martha died July 27th of 1869 of consumption. On the Westmoreland Death Register her name was given as Mary E. Her death was reported by Henry. Her parents names were given as James and Sarah and her place of birth appears to be Essex County. Two days later Martha and Henry's son, John, reported the death of his one month old baby daughter also named Mary E. It is possible that Martha and Henry are both buried at Gibeon Baptist Church though no markers remain.
- Virginia, Marriages, 1740-1850
- Year: 1840; Census Place: Westmoreland, Virginia; Roll: 576; Page: 299; Image: 1239; Family History Library Film: 0029691
- Year: 1850; Census Place: Cople Parish, Westmoreland, Virginia; Roll: M432_980; Page: 311A; Image: 621
- Year: 1860; Census Place: Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: M653_1367; Page: 818; Image: 134; Family History Library Film: 805367
- National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington, D.C.; Non-population Census Schedules for Virginia, 1850-1880; Archive Collection: T1132; Archive Roll Number: 10; Census Year: 1869; Census Place: Cople, Westmoreland, Virginia
- Death registers, 1853-1906 (Virginia); ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DT57-9NL. Family Search.
- "Northumberland, Virginia, United States Records," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C91H-DSJB-Q : January 17, 2021), image 486 of 832; Northumberland County (Virginia). County Clerk.