1805 - Richmond, VA
1873 - Richmond, VA
Maria Gatewood GordonMaria Gordon >> Eliza Jane Cralle >> Laura Sisson >> Louise Bryant >> Ralph Dameron >> Mark Dameron
Maria married Darius Griffin Cralle on December 22nd, 1826. He was the son of Samuel Cralle and Mary Jane Claughton. They had at least eight children.
Darius G. Cralle is listed as the head of a family in Richmond County on the 1830 census. Household members are given as one white male 20-29, one white male 30-39, one white female 20-29 and one black female slave 10-23.
The 1840 census lists Da. G. Cralle as the head of a family in Northumberland County. Household members were listed as; two white males under 5, one white male 40-49, two white females 5-9, one white female 15-19, one white female 30-39 and one black female slave under 10.
Darius died in 1848 and was buried at Gibeon Baptist Church. Maria did not remarry.
The 1850 census lists Maria as a farmer in Northumberland County 7th District. Her estate is valued at $800 and she is marked as not being able to read or write. Seven children are listed as living with her.
In 1860 Maria is no longer listed as working. Her age is given as 56 and her birthplace as Richmond County. She is still in Northumberland County, near the Union Hill Post Office. Her real estate was assessed at $800 and her personal estate at $541. Her son Kenner Cralle and daughter TC are both still living at home. During the Civil War Maria's son, Darius Alexander Cralle was killed-in-action at the Battle of Weldon Railroad in Petersburg on August 18th, 1864.
The 1870 census shows Maria living with Ezekiel and Elizabeth Cookman. This could have been her youngest daughter. Her age is given as 60 and she is listed as "without occupation." Her son Samuel Cralle is also listed as living with them as working as a farmer. Maria is not shown to own any real estate or valued personal property. Samuel is shown to own real estate assessed at $100. The Cookman house is shown as being in Lottsburg Township.
Maria died in 1873 according to her headstone and was buried at Gibeon Baptist Church beside her husband.
- Virginia, Select Marriages, 1785-1940
- 1830; Census Place: Richmond, Virginia; Series: M19; Roll: 194; Page: 91; Family History Library Film: 0029673
- Year: 1840; Census Place: Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: 570; Page: 238; Image: 487; Family History Library Film: 0029690
- Year: 1850; Census Place: District 7, Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: M432_965; Page: 322A; Image: 102
- Year: 1860; Census Place: Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: M653_1367; Page: 818; Image: 134; Family History Library Film: 805367
- Year: 1870; Census Place: Lottsburg, Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: M593_1669; Page: 49A; Image: 244123; Family History Library Film: 553168
- Web: Virginia, Find A Grave Index, 1607-2012
- For Love of Family, Peter T. Baron, Jr, 2012
- King, George H. S. Marriages of Richmond County, Virginia, 1668-1853. Fredericksburg, Va: G.H.S. King, 1964. Print. Pg. 45.
Spouse & Children:
- Frances Amy Gordon
- Catherine St. John Gordon