22 DEC 1878 - Alfonso, Lancaster, VA
19 NOV 1950 - Alfonso, Lancaster, VA
John Elbert BushJohn Bush >> Savilla Bush >> Maida George
John was a farmer in Alfonso and very active at Lebanon Church.
The 1880 census shows John at age one. His father is listed as farmer and was sick with typhoid fever at the time of the census. Also living with the family was Fannie Bush, his father's sister and 8 month old William Alexander who was listed as a nephew.
John's older brother, William Sidney Bush, died in 1896 and was buried behind their home. His cause of death is unknown.
The 1900 census shows John still living with his family, he is listed as working on the farm. His father's occupation is given as farmer and carpenter.
In 1910 John is shown living with his sister Effus and her family. Effus is married to Louis Clarke. They are marked as living on the street "Lively to Alfonso Road." His name is written as "Elbert Bush," and he works as a farm laborer.
In 1918 John registered for the WWI draft. He marked his height and build as medium, his eyes as blue and hair as brown.
The 1920 census shows John listed as the head of the household and his mother, Eudora living with him. They are listed as renters but appear to still be at the Bush home-place. Eudora is listed as married, but the entry for Robert Bush shows him living with his nephew Willie Barnes, son of his sister Elizabeth Bush, in the Whitechapel magisterial district of Lancaster County. He is listed as a boarder, 72, single and unemployed.
John married Maida Ruth Haynie on March 21st, 1922. He was 20 years older. Their marriage was recorded in Richmond County. They went on to have five children between 1923 and 1928.
Maida entered Eastern State Mental Hospital in Williamsburg, VA sometime around November 19th, 1928. She died there on December the 1st. Her death certificate states that she died from "suicide by strangulation," secondary causes were, "manic, depressed, insanity." Some family members speculated that she was assaulted and killed by either a staff member or another patient. She was buried at Lebanon Church in Alfonso.
The 1930 census shows John and his four daughters along with his mother living together. His son was listed as living with his sister Effus that year. John was marked as farmer, age 49 and a widow. According to the census his age at first marriage was 25 but I have found no record of that.
On the 1940 census all of John's children are shown living with him. John is shown as completing the 7th grade. His home is valued at $1,200 and he is marked as owning it in full. He is still listed as a farmer.
In September of 1950 John contracted pulmonary tuberculosis. He passed away on November 19th, 1950 and was buried at Lebanon Baptist Church on the 21st.
- 1904 Property Line Dispute
- 1907 Visit Urbane
- 1907 Visit Sister
- 1907 Jamestown Exposition
- 1909 Baltimore
- 1910 Forest Fire
- 1910 Sunday School Convention
- 1910 Visit Reedville
- 1928 Baltimore Hospital
- 1939 Visit from Cousin Carrie
- 1947 Senior Deacon
- 1950 Death
- Card of Thanks
- Public Auction
- One Year Memory
- Two Year Memory
- Three Year Memory
- Year: 1880; Census Place: Mantua, Lancaster, Virginia; Roll: 1375; Family History Film: 1255375; Page: 116C; Enumeration District: 043
- Year: 1900; Census Place: Mantua, Lancaster, Virginia; Roll: 1714; Page: 17B; Enumeration District: 0043; FHL microfilm: 1241714
- Year: 1910; Census Place: Mantua, Lancaster, Virginia; Roll: T624_1633; Page: 10B; Enumeration District: 0056; FHL microfilm: 1375646
- Year: 1920; Census Place: Mantua, Lancaster, Virginia; Roll: T625_1895; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 65; Image: 598
- Year: 1930; Census Place: Mantua, Lancaster, Virginia; Roll: 2448; Page: 11B; Enumeration District: 0001; Image: 560.0; FHL microfilm: 2342182
- Year: 1940; Census Place: Mantua, Lancaster, Virginia; Roll: T627_4272; Page: 12A; Enumeration District: 52-1
- U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
- U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
- U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current
- Virginia, Death Records, 1912-2014
- Virginia, Select Marriages, 1785-1940
Spouse & Children:
- Urbane Alexander Bush
- William Sidney Bush
- Effus Claybrook Bush
- Robert Edward Bush