1810 - Westmoreland, VA
11 SEP 1882 - Cople, Westmoreland, VA
Henry Carter StephensHenry Stephens >> Martha Stephens >> Mildred Fallin >> Elton Dameron >> Ralph Dameron >> Mark Dameron
Henry married Martha E. Wood on December 26th, 1837 in Northumberland County. Her parents were James Wood and Sarah. Henry and Martha went on to have at least six children.
Henry Stephens is listed as the head of a family in Westmoreland on the 1840 census. Household members are; one white male 20-30, two white females under 5, one white female 20-30, one black female slave under 10 and one black female slave 10-23. Henry and Martha are both listed as unable to read or write. In 1840 Henry Stephens was listed as a charter member of Gibeon Baptist Church who had transferred his membership from Wicomico (now Coan). Henry served for many years as a deacon of the church. In the 1940 centennial history publication Henry Stephens was one of five original members listed that still had descendants active in the church.
The 1850 census shows the family in Cople Parish, Westmoreland County. Henry is listed as a farmer with real estate worth $400. He is marked as being unable to read or write, but Martha is not. Four children are listed with them.
On the 1860 census Henry is shown in Northumberland County near the Union Village post office. His real estate is valued at $800 and personal property at $358. He is once again marked as unable to read or write. His birthplace is given as Northumberland. Martha's birthplace is listed as Middlesex. The four children are listed as being born in Westmoreland, even the youngest, Sylvanus, who was 4, so they must have moved recently. Also living with the family is a 17 year old mulatto boy named Fleet Benwell.
Martha died in July of 1869 of consumption. Henry remarried that same year on December 26th to Harriet Ann Hall, daughter of William Hall and Alice. She was born 1834 in Westmoreland. Their marriage was in Westmoreland.
The 1870 census shows Henry and his family living in Westmoreland in Cople Township near the Nominy Grove Post Office. Henry is listed as a farmer, with real estate valued at $500 and personal property of $100. He and his wife are both marked as being unable to read or write. Henry's two youngest children are still living at home. According to the 1870 Agricultural Schedule his farm was 500 acres with 170 improved. He owned two oxen and 13 swine. Henry's farm produced 29 bushels of wheat and 400 bushels of corn.
On the 1880 census Henry is still in the Cople District of Westmoreland County. Two children have been born to Henry and Harriet; a daughter, Henrietta, age 8, and a son, Hall, age 3. Henry's occupation is given as "works on farm." His age on the census was listed as 60 even though he should have been 70. Harriet was listed as 40 even though she should have been 46.
Henry died on September 11th, 1882 in Cople, Westmoreland of Bilious Fever (malaria, viral hepatitis or bacterial infection of the blood stream). An obituary for Henry was printed in the Northern Neck News on October 13th, that stated his date of death as September 18th. The obituary praised his long connection to Gibeon Baptist Church and service as a deacon. It is likely that Henry was buried at Gibeon though no surviving marker seems to exist.
- Virginia, Marriages, 1740-1850
- Virginia, Select Marriages, 1785-1940
- Year: 1840; Census Place: Westmoreland, Virginia; Roll: 576; Page: 299; Image: 1239; Family History Library Film: 0029691
- Year: 1850; Census Place: Cople Parish, Westmoreland, Virginia; Roll: M432_980; Page: 311A; Image: 621
- Year: 1860; Census Place: Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: M653_1367; Page: 818; Image: 134; Family History Library Film: 805367
- Year: 1870; Census Place: Cople, Westmoreland, Virginia; Roll: M593_1681; Page: 222B; Image: 55524; Family History Library Film: 553180
- Year: 1880; Census Place: Cople, Westmoreland, Virginia; Roll: 1393; Family History Film: 1255393; Page: 456D; Enumeration District: 115
- Virginia, Deaths and Burials Index, 1853-1917
- Death Registry, 1853-1895 Westmoreland County
- Northern Neck News , Warsaw, VA, Friday, October 13, 1882
- Death registers, 1853-1906 (Virginia); ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DT5Q-1GT. Family Search.
- "Northumberland, Virginia, United States Records," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C91H-DSJB-Q : January 17, 2021), image 486 of 832; Northumberland County (Virginia). County Clerk.
- James Briscoe Stephens