BEF 1850 - Westmoreland, VA
Harriet SuttonHarriett Sutton >> Samuel Franklin >> William Franklin >> George Franklin >> Frances Franklin >> Mark Dameron
In August 1818 Thomas and Harriet sold land inherited by Thomas from his mother's side of the family to John Chandler & Company for $157.50. Thomas signed the dead with his name, Harriet signed with a mark.
The 1820 Census in Westmoreland listed Thomas Franklin as the head of a household. He was the only male in the home, listed as age 26-44. Other members of the household were; four females under 10, one female 16-25 and one female 26-44. One person in the home was listed as working in agriculture.
The 1830 Census listed members of the Thomas Franklin household as; one male under 5, one male 5-9, one male 40-49, one female under 5, two females 10-14, two females 15-19, one female 30-39 and one female slave 10-23.
In 1840 the Census count for the household of Thomas Franklin was; two males under 5, one male 5-9, one male 15-19, one male 50-59, one female 5-9, one female 15-19, one female 60-69 and one female 70-79. No slaves were listed that year. The form also noted that two people in home were working in agriculture and one person was working in "Navigation of Canals, Lakes, Rivers."
In 1844 Thomas Franklin received a deed from John Chandler & Company for the land originally sold them in 1818. The deed stated that a some point after the sale Thomas has paid back the purchase price but the company had neglected to give him a deed so on that date in 1844 they were recording the deed for the sum of $1. The transaction did not mention Harriet and she may have already have been deceased.
Harriet appears to be the first person buried presumably at in the Franklin Family Cemetery at their presumed homesite in Nomini Grove. Some original markers still exist at the site. Poured concrete markers were added at a later date.
- 1820 U S Census; Census Place: Westmoreland, Virginia; Page: 279; NARA Roll: M33_135; Image: 139
- 1830; Census Place: Westmoreland, Virginia; Series: M19; Roll: 192; Page: 116; Family History Library Film: 0029671
- Year: 1840; Census Place: Westmoreland, Virginia; Page: 284; Family History Library Film: 0029691
- Year: 1850; Census Place: Cople Parish, Westmoreland, Virginia; Roll: M432_980; Page: 311A; Image: 621
- Virginia Marriages before 1824
- Virginia Will and Probate Records