ABT 1804 - Northumberland, VA
10 MAR 1873 - Richmond, VA
Frances R. WalkerFrances Walker >> Richard Dameron >> Elton Dameron >> Ralph Dameron >> Mark Dameron
Frances married Leroy Oldham Dameron on July 15th, 1820. The 1820 census was taken the next month. There are two Leroy Dameron’s on the 1820 census in Northumberland County, and either could be a match.
The 1830 census lists only one Leroy Dameron in Northumberland and includes the middle initial "O." Household members are one male 15-20 and one 30-40, three females under 5, one 5-10 and one 20-30. Slaves are also listed; one male 36-55 and one female 10-24.
Leroy appears on the 1840 census as L.O. Dameron. He is the only free white male, age 40-49. Children are given as one female under 5, two ages 5-9 and two ages 10-14. His wife is listed as one female age 30-39. Again two slaves are listed, one male 36-54 and one female under 10.
The 1850 census gives a more complete picture of the family. Frances' name is listed and her age is given as 46. Leroy is listed as 53, a farmer, with real estate valued at $900. Children listed are, Frances 21, Rebbecca 18, Ann 14, Susan 12, Leroy 10 and Richard 6. All family members are indicated as being born in Northumberland. They still owned two slaves, they were listed as 53 Male, and 14 Female.
Leroy died in 1852. His will was recorded at the Northumberland Courthouse.
The 1860 census shows Frances Dameron, age 50, as the head of the family. She is marked as being born in Lancaster County, where ten years earlier all the family members were listed as born in Northumberland. She is also marked as being unable to read or write. Her real estate is valued at $1,000, with personal property worth $120. Her son Thomas is the only one marked as working, he is a farmer. The 1860 slave schedule for Northumberland shows F. Dameron as owning one slave, a 40 year old male. This census is the only document that lists her place of birth as Lancaster County, everything else lists Northumberland.
On the 1870 census Frances' youngest son Richard was the head of the family. At age 66, Frances, is marked as able to read, but not write. She is also marked as "insane," I think that could have indicated a condition like alzheimers. They were still in Northumberland in the Lottsburg township. Richard was marked as a farmer with land worth $500 and personal property of $100. His sister Susan, age 28, also still lives at home. Additionally and 8 year old black boy named Andrew Medley lives with them.
The 1870 agricultural schedule showed Richard had 100 acres, 50 improved for farming. He had one horse, one milk cow and three swine all valued at $110. In the past year he had produced 100 bushels of corn.
Frances died on March 10th, 1873 of consumption. Her death was recorded on the Richmond County death register. Her age at the time of death was given as 68. Unfortunately her entry is incomplete and does not include her parents names or the name of the person who reported her death. She may be buried at Gibeon Baptist Church.
- "Northumberland, Virginia, United States Records," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C91H-471M-D : September 3, 2020), image 758 of 825; Northumberland County (Virginia). County Clerk.
- "Northumberland, Virginia, United States Records," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSYD-VSCT-S : September 9, 2020), image 99 of 669; Virginia. County Court (Northumberland County).
- "Northumberland, Virginia, United States Records," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSYD-VSCZ-Q : September 9, 2020), image 208 of 669; Virginia. County Court (Northumberland County).
- "Prince George, Virginia, United States Records," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6943-8JM : September 11, 2020), image 624 of 725; Virginia. Bureau of Vital Statistics.
- 1830; Census Place: Northumberland, Virginia; Series: M19; Roll: 201; Page: 200; Family History Library Film: 0029680
- Year: 1840; Census Place: Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: 570; Page: 242; Image: 495; Family History Library Film: 0029690
- Year: 1850; Census Place: District 7, Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: M432_965; Page: 321B; Image: 101
- Year: 1860; Census Place: Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: M653_1367; Page: 814; Image: 130; Family History Library Film: 805367
- Year: 1870; Census Place: Lottsburg, Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: M593_1669; Page: 49B; Image: 244164; Family History Library Film: 553168
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Non-Population Schedules, 1850-1880
- 1850 U.S. Federal Census - Slave Schedules
- Virginia, Marriages, 1740-1850
- Virginia, Select Marriages, 1785-1940
- Northumberland County Virginia Wills 1793-1816, and Administrations 1790-1816
- The Dameron-Damron Geneology, Helen Foster Snow
- For Love of Family, Peter T. Baron Jr., 2012