ABT 1750 - Northampton, VA
ABT 1815 - Accomack, VA
Elizabeth Tabitha JacobElizabeth Jacob >> Arthur Barnes >> James Barnes >> Susan Barnes >> Eddie Barnes >> Thelma Barnes >> Frances Franklin >> Mark Dameron
Tabitha's father died late in 1774 or early in 1775 and left her two slaves named Tom and Southy, a horse called Jones, second choice of bed and furniture, 150 pounds cash, a side saddle, spinning wheel and 25 pounds of husked flax. Later that year she married John Barnes of Accomack on December 26th, 1775 in Northampton County. They went on to have at least eight children.
Tax records from 1782 list one tithable person over 21 in the household, one horse, four cattle and two wagon wheels. Two slaves were also listed.
John wrote his will on September 10th, 1799. He left the land where he lived to his son Arthur and gave his personal estate to his wife "Tabitha" until she died or remarried and then ordered it to be divided equally among his children. He signed the will by marking a X. Tabitha signed her name in full as executrix of her husband's estate.
Tabitha was listed as a census head in 1800 at Accomack Parish, Accomack County, VA. She was shown as Belitha Barnes of Jo., aged over 45. Listed with her were three males 10-16, two males 16-26, one female under 10, two females 16-26, one female 26-45 and no slaves.
On March 9th, 1801 Tabitha witnessed a will in Accomack County. Along with Benjamin Pruitt and Ann Ritta Pruitt, she witnessed the will of Elizabeth Melson, her mother-in-law. Mr. Isaiah Bagwell & Thomas Bayly Sr. were named executors.
On January 28th, 1809 John Snead, jailer, was the security on the marriage license bond of Sampson Marshall Jr. and Nancy Barnes of Tabitha.
Tabitha was listed as a head of household in the census of 1810 in Accomack Parish. She was shown as Telitha Barnes, aged over 45. Listed with her were one male 16-26, one male 26-45, one female under 10, one female 10-16, one female 26-45 and no slaves.
No further records for Tabitha have been found.
- Document: Personal Property Tax Lists, 1782 [Virginia State Library]; Call Number: FHL Film 2024439; Page Number: 5; Family Number: 17
- Virginia, Marriage Records, 1700-1850
- Administrator and Executor Bonds, 1784-1962; Author: Virginia. County Court (Accomack County); Probate Place: Accomack, Virginia
- Virginia, Wills and Probate Records, 1652-1983
- Wills, Deeds, and Orders (Accomack County, Virginia); General Indexes to Wills, 1663-1922; Author: Virginia. County Court (Accomack County); Probate Place: Accomack, Virginia
- Miles Files, Eastern Shore Public Library, http://espl-genealogy.org
Spouse & Children:
- Elishe Jacob
- Margaret Jacob
- Sarah Jacob
- Susannah Jacob