ABT 1776 - Accomack, VA
BEF 1846 - Accomack, VA
Arthur BarnesArthur Barnes >> James Barnes >> Susan Barnes >> Eddie Barnes >> Thelma Barnes >> Frances Franklin >> Mark Dameron
In reconstructed records from the 1800 census Arthur appears in Accomack County living by himself.
Arthur married Euphamia Lewis in Accomack on February 2nd, 1803. She was the daughter of Spencer Lewis and Mary Willett. William Lewis provided the security on the marriage license bond. They went on to have as many as five children.
The family appears on the 1810 Accomack census having three sons already born. Arthur and Euphamia are both listed as age 26-44. An additional female aged 16-25 lives with them.
The 1820 census in Accomack County lists the family as containing; three males under 10, two males 10-15, one male 26-44 and one female 26-44. The census form also noted that three members of the family were working in agriculture.
I have not yet located Arthur Barnes in the 1830 census.
The 1840 count in Accomack County lists the family as containing; one male 10-14, two males 20-29, one male 60-69, one female 15-19, one female 20-29 and one female 60-69. The form listed four people as being employed in agriculture and two employed "in Navigation of the Ocean." The census also noted that none of the five family members over age 20 could read or write.
Arthur died before October 26th, 1846. On that date a court document from Accomack County shows that his wife was named to settle his estate. His burial location is unknown.
- Personal Property Tax Lists, 1800, Part B [Virginia State Library]; Call Number: FHL Film 2024439; Page Number: 3; Family Number: 11
- Accomack Co, VA, Marriage Records, 1776-1854 (Recorded in Bonds, Licenses and Ministers's Returns)
- Year: 1810; Census Place: Accomack, Accomack, Virginia; Roll: 66; Image: 00087; Family History Library Film: 0181426
- 1820 U S Census; Census Place: Accomac, Accomack, Virginia; Page: 19; NARA Roll: M33_129; Image: 31
- Year: 1840; Census Place: Accomack, Virginia; Page: 3
- Barry W. Miles & Moody K. Miles III, Accomack Co, VA, Wills & Administrations, 1800-1860, p. 2
Spouse & Children:
- Comfort Barnes
- Parker Barnes
- Robert Barnes
- John Barnes
- Bridget Barnes
- James Barnes
- Nancy Ann Barnes